You’ve probably heard of the Flying Dutchman, the legendary ghost ship which was said to never be able to make port. Well, this legend has inspired Stortebricker to build his version, “The Rolling Dutchman”. Why rolling? Because it’s a MOC of the Flying Dutchman but with gears which makes it move along the floor!
Welcome on board of The Rolling Dutchman!
Since I have been a child I always wanted to control my LEGO Red Beard Runner without pushing it around and now my dream has come true. I have build a motorized Version of the famous Flying Dutchman which is my favorite pirate ship, too. I have seen the original swedish Vasa which has given the idea for the Dutchman with its marvelous bow and stern. So I managed to combine them with my own creative ideas into this “rolling” Dutchman!
Please have a look at the features in the video and the pictures!
- Rolling movement caused by waves (1. M-Motor)
- Two motorized triple-barrelled chasers in the bow (1. M-Motor)
- Motorized steering with simoultaneously rotating ship´s wheel, rudder and steering mechanism (S-Motor)
- Motorized movement for- and backward (L-Motor)
- Motorized sail trim with turning capstan and changing sail position of all square sails (M-Motor)
- All features can be controlled by rc-control via 4 channels and two receivers
- All features use the Power-Function System but could easily be adapted to the new Control+ System which can lead to advanced handling of the functions
- The battery box can slide out easily to switch on/off and change batteries
- Minifigures: Davy Jones, Jack Sparrow, Elizabeth, Bill Turner, Barbossa and more. (I am not familiar with the movies in english so I would like to ask you to tell me the names in the comments section!)
- Two decks with cannons (one side the lower deck is closed to store the motors)
- The two tripple-barreld chasers can manually slide backwards and then the gun ports can be closed
- Removable deck at the stern to take out the steering wheel
- Removable lower balcony´s on both sides
- Handmade sails
- Two functional anchors
- Upper cabin minifigure size with Jack stealing the heart (illuminated)
- Lower cabin with Davy Jones organ (illuminated)
- Two torches at the stern (illuminated)
- The capstan can be removed
- The ship is based on the sturdy hull parts, the complete 2 lower rows of bricks can be removed with the steering and driving wheels to use it as “normal” push forward ship or display model
- The main mast and the mizzen are both slightly tilted backwards
- Correct rigging and sails due to the movies
- The ropes between the masts can be removed easily to take them apart for transport
About the Builder…
Stortebricker is a regular contributor on both Eurobricks and LEGO Ideas. You could have even supported for The Rolling Dutchman on LEGO Ideas, but you didn’t, did you? Well too late, because it’s expired.
Oh well, you can still view more of his builds on his LEGO Ideas profile. You never know, he might have another Pirate submission you’d like to support.